Special Rapporteurship on Indigenous Peoples’ Rights
Attorney, Specialist in Human Rights and Indigenous Peoples’ Rights
Request for resumés
This job announcement is made within the framework of the “Promotion for Participation and Human Rights of Indigenous Peoples in the Americas” project financed by the Spanish government.
Date of posting: November 1, 2007
Closing date: November 30, 2007
Starting date: January 15, 2008
Duration: One year
Salary: Competitive salary according to experience and assigned duties
Location: IACHR headquarters
Washington, D.C., United States
The Inter-American Commission will only consider applications submitted before the closing date and which contain required documents and that comply with the requirements in this job announcement.
1. To collaborate with lawyers of the Executive Secretariat of the IACHR in the processing of requests, cases and requests for precautionary measures related to indigenous peoples’ rights.
2. To prepare draft reports on petitions and cases relative to indigenous peoples.
3. Preparation of reference studies on indigenous peoples. Identification of common patterns in cases related to international complaints due to acts of violence and discrimination against indigenous peoples. Preparation and presentation to the IACHR of suggestions for general recommendations related to indigenous peoples’ rights.
4. Preparation of informative presentations and summaries of thematic and country studies, and cases published by the Rapporteurship and the IACHR, as well as others subjects related to the indigenous peoples in the region.
5. To prepare country and thematic reports, including the editing of the translations, to be published by the Rapporteurship on matters related to indigenous peoples’ rights.
6. To organize fact-finding and observation missions necessary to analyze the situation of the indigenous peoples in determined countries and the preparation of follow-up reports.
7. Diffusion of international standards on indigenous peoples’ rights.
8. Promotion and diffusion of information about the Inter-American system of human rights and the Rapporteurship on Indigenous Peoples’ Rights.
9. Updating of
IACHR web page specifically on the work of the Rapporteurship and the
Required documents for application:
Subject to discretion of the IACHR, the finalists will be asked to respond to additional questions.
Subject to the level of satisfactory work performance, the contract could be extended for one year.
The documents must be submitted by mail to the following address:
Inter-American Commission of Human Rights
Organization of American States
1889 F Street, N.W. Washington, DC 20006, U.S.A.
Fax: (202) 458-3992
or by electronic mail to email@example.com
Please indicate CIDH/RPI/ProyectoEspaña/07 as subject matter.